Monday, July 14, 2008

Developing my legitimacy bit by bit



It pleases me to report that I have passed the first of two exams necessary for me to attain the certification of Accredited Financial Counselor, a designation awarded by the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education. Once I have completed a second exam (probably sometime in the spring), finished several hundred hours of practicum experience, subscribed to the Code of Ethics and paid the membership fee, I will be a blogger with a legitimate, real-life accreditation, and not merely an "internet professional"! How many other personal finance bloggers can say the same?

It was quite a test. Nothing at all compared to the CPA exams or the CFP nightmare, but it definitely required a lot of preparation to fully understand all concepts covered.

If you are eligible and interested, this program is a great opportunity for military spouses and survivors to get free education and certification in an important field. The certification would cost about $900 out of pocket otherwise. Applications are accepted in the spring sometime, usually in March. For more information on the program, click here.

No comments: